Monday, March 10, 2014

14. Anne of Green Gables by Lucy Maud Montgomery



My last read for February, this was one more of my online Group reads - Anne of Green Gables, a children's story, which turned out to be a most delightful, little read. Set in, from what I hear, the very picturesque Prince Edward Island in Canada, the pride and delight of the author in describing the beauty of the island, through the eyes of little Anne, was very apparent.

And little Anne turned out to be quite a character too! With no one immune or able to resist her enchanting influence, she thrills the otherwise quiet folks at Avonlea. That she charms the reader too, is a foregone conclusion.

The book was just the right length too, and ends with Anne as a 16 year old girl. Apparently there are sequels, but I would likely skip them, for I highly doubt the young woman, Anne, would hold my attention as much as girl Anne did.

(****)

4 comments:

  1. Even though I'm Canadian, I read this book for the first time last year and loved it. What inspired you to read this book?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think the next couple of books are good, but I couldn't get past the first three. Glad you enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. @ebookclassics: This book has been on my TBR for a long time - an online group read at LibraryThing finally got me to read this book, and I wasn't disappointed :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Rachel!

    I wasn't aware of your blog, nor of your science inclinations, so learnt something new there. I am glad you liked the books too, though I still believe sticking to only the first book is the right thing for me.

    ReplyDelete